CONSULTANT PHYSICIAN, QUEEN ELIZABETH HOSPITAL BIRMINGHAM, UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL BIRMINGHAM NHS FOUNDATION TRUST, UK.
Secretary: Email: DiabetesSecretaries@uhb.nhs.uk
TRAINING AND EDUCATIONAL ROLES
Royal College of Physicians' Tutor for Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.
Medical Careers Advisor, Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham.
Lead for Diabetes Education and Guideline group, University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust.
Senior Examiner of Royal College of Physicians, UK.
Senior Examiner of University of Birmingham Medical School.
RESEARCH, INNOVATION AND QUALITY IMPROVEMENT
More than 40 publications and presentations at regional, national and international meetings.
1. UK Diabetes Healthcare Professional of the Year award, Diabetes, Quality in Care Programme (QiC) 2017.
2. Highly commended award at QiC Diabetes 2017 for ‘Identifying Quality Indicator of DKA Management and Regular Feedback Improve Acute Diabetes Care’ by University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust. Our quality improvement initiative of the management of a common diabetes related acute complication translated into savings of over £32,000 per year for the Trust. Judges comment: "A very well-written entry with excellent methodology and good results. It was targeted and well-structured, demonstrating a pragmatic intervention." http://www.qualityincare.org/diabetes/awards/results/qic_diabetes_2017_results/patient_care_pathway_adults
2. Patient safety initiative, ‘Diabetes Back to the Floor’, recognised as an exemplary practice and selected to be showcased in Diabetes UK website in the ‘Shared Practice Library’.https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2017-10/DBTTF%20inpatient%20conference%20poster%5D_1.pdf.
3. Invited Lecture at UK Health show, London Olympia, September 2017. https://ukhealthshow.com/?post_type=speakers
4. World Diabetes Congress 2015: https://www.mdedge.com/clinicalendocrinologynews/article/105299/diabetes/wdc-hemoglobin-a1c-screening-catches-diabetes .
5. Medical student reflection on American Diabetes Association: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/university/colleges/mds/news/2014/06/Students-attend-prestigious-American-Diabetes-Association-Conference.aspx
Significant roles in overseeing training of junior doctors in Medicine in my NHS Trust leading to a number of innovations in postgraduate training programmes including introduction of patient care quality improvement training, introduction of practical procedural training, introduction of high fidelity simulation training in core medical training. Our experience of introduction of high fidelity training has been presented at the Association for Simulated Healthcare meeting 2016.
Career guidance for foundation trainee doctors has been another important area of work. I have assessed West Midlands workshop evaluations and presented findings at national UK Foundation Programme meeting. Also in liaison with a surgical specialist trainee developed 'Niche teaching – a model of peer support for foundation doctors at specialty application' and this has been presented at Birmingham Conference 2016. Later our initiative, 'Demystifying the specialty training application process' was published in British Medical Journal in December 2016 https://www.bmj.com/content/355/bmj.i5853